Illinois Military Flags Commission
April 30, 2002
The first meeting of the Illinois Military Flags Commission was held
at Camp Lincoln in Springfield on 30 April 2002.
- Major General David Harris
- The Adjutant General
- Dr. Bruce McMillan
- Director of Illinois State Museum
- Tom Schwartz
- Illinois State Historian
- Susan Mogerman
- Director of Illinois Historic Preservation Agency
- Jon Austin
- Director Museum of Funeral Customs
- John Brooks Davis
- Civil War Roundtable member
- BG (Ret) David Grange
- Exec VP & COO, Robert R. McCormick Tribune Foundation
- James Pritzker
- President & CEO, Tawani Enterprises
- Dr. John Schmale
- Civil War historian
- COL (Ret) Eugene Scott
- Editor Chicago Daily Defender
- Rick Winkel
- State Representative
- Walter Dudycz
- State Senator
- Floyd Adair
- Civil War Historian
- Dutch Holland
- Executive Assistant to The Adjutant General
- Mark Whitlock
- Curator Illinois State Military Museum
- John Reynolds
- Reporter, State Journal-Register
The main features of this first, organizational meeting were:
- Introduction of Commission Members.
- History of the Military Flag collection.
- Tour of Hall of Flags in the Howlett Building.
- Tour of the temporary and future home of the Illinois State
Military Museum at Camp Lincoln.
- Discussion of need for public education regarding the flag collection.
- Suggestion of a Flag Seminar to be held on 2 &
3 of October 2002 in conjunction with the Conference on Illinois
- Motion carried to recommend the extension of the term of the
Commission to five years.
- James Pritzker elected Chairman of the Commission for one year.
- Chairman Pritzker designated the following Commission committees-Fundraising,
Public Relations, Educational Outreach, Flag History and Flag
- Tom Schwartz volunteered to prepare draft of Commission by-laws
- The next meeting has been tentatively scheduled for mid to late